5.02.2009

Swimming in the Spoon River


Well I'm soon to be swimming in the Spoon River. Not really though that could be something to try. What I mean by this is that a theatre colleague of mine, Alex Hewett (see the post called "Addicted") and I are going to working on a project we are tentatively calling "The Women of Spoon River".

This all came about when I was working on Watch, A Haunting back in October and one of the books that we used in the show as a prop was The Spoon River Anthology by Edgar Lee Masters. She made a comment about how much she loved it and I told her how I loved it as well. All of a sudden things clicked and a project was born.

So we are going to start working on it now, identifying the poems we would like to work on, as well as recruiting two other actresses to work on the piece once we get into rehearsals. I'm directing, Alex will be acting and we both will be piecing together this piece, writing when needed, etc.

I'm really excited to start working on it! We do know that we will be running Halloween weekend and that we will be a part of Free Fall Baltimore at the Strand.

I'll keep you updated via this blog on our process and what we're doing. Generative work is what feeds my soul and I love that I've found a long term project to work on with an artist I respect immensely. Yes, I did say long term, so though the show goes up in October, that won't be the last time you see this piece.

No comments:

Post a Comment