6.19.2009

Reasons To Be Pretty.


So last weekend I had the pleasure of seeing Neil LaBute's Reasons to be Pretty at the Lyceum in NYC. What a fucking awesome play, the production was good, but the play itself is what really shined. I adore Labute's work, but I do have a love/hate thing going on as well because his male characters are generally so much more developed than the females. It makes me wish I had a cock sometimes. ;P

I wish the production has been done in a smaller theatre, though the Lyceum is beautiful, a play like this I think needed a bit more intimacy. This wasn't served by the set at all, though the set itself was simple and effective to an extent. I also hated one of the females, though came to realize I was supposed to not like her, though I did think she emoted a little too much for my taste as a director. And of course Violet from Coyote Ugly, yes that Coyote Ugly, was also in it.

I think the highlights though were the two men for sure (can't remember the actors names right now & the playbill isn't within reach). Now is this because LaBute writes better men than women, or is it because of the individual actors. Who knows.

I did also pick up a shirt (which says "I might be willing to overlook your general f*ckheadedness") and a mug (which says "Love is blind shithead."). I adore schwag with cuss words on it though was sad that they had run out of scripts.

I think that's one of those shows that I'd love to direct, but it bothers me that LaBute is a go to in this town. I know for at least the past 3 years+ there has been a LaBute play produced. Not saying that that is a bad thing b/c I love his work, but let's go beyond Baltimore and look at some other playwrights as well.

Who I'd like to see on Baltimore stages: Sarah Ruhl (Single Carrot is actually doing Eurydice this coming season), Ellen McLaughlin, Paula Vogel, Sarah Kane, Stephen Aldy Guirgis, Suzan-Lori Parks, Jose Rivera & Robert O'Hara off the top of my head. Not sure why a lot of those are females, but that's okay. ;)

Here's a little from LaBute about this show:



Also here's an article about the interesting advertising campaign they came up with for Reasons To Be Pretty.

No comments:

Post a Comment