4.20.2009

Shotguns, death camps & sex, oh my!


Last night I had the pleasure of attending Antebellum at Woolly Mammoth in DC.

As entering the sign said "This performance will contain smoking, nudity & gunshots". I got excited.

I've got a one word reaction - Wow!

The acting was superb and nuanced. A blending of actors in such a way that was worthy of Gone With the Wind (one of my all time favorite movies btw).

The set transformed magically without ever changing. One second it's outside of Atlanta in 1939, the next moment I'm in Germany in the late 1930's. The idea was to meld these two cultures together to see the similarities in the way we treat people who are different than us and I think Tony Cisek's set did just that.

I actually stopped thinking about the directing, the acting, etc. and just enjoyed the show. This means a lot to me because I don't get to do that as often now. It's very rare when I can just sit back and enjoy the ride.

This is a MUST SEE show for me. And I picked up the script for only $10 in the lobby.

Way to go Woolly!

Oh and in case you're wondering, I didn't get yelled at by the House Manager this time, though I did see her. Maybe it's because I didn't have any snacks during intermission.

My closing thought: Andrew Price is an actor to watch. F'ing incredible.

No comments:

Post a Comment