3.29.2009

Isn't there a better way?

Alright, I'm sick of monologues. Seriously.

I'm sick of seeing them done, I'm sick of the torturous process it is to pick one out, I'm sick of the falsity that comes out of doing a monologue for an audition.

All a monologue tells me is if you know how to tell a story, which is important, yes. But a monologue doesn't tell me if you are going to work off the unexpected gifts that your partner gives you in a scene. It doesn't tell me that you know how to listen and truly justify your lines based on what has happened before it. It doesn't tell me whether or not you have a sense of the character that I'm looking to cast you in.

I mean in a way they have their purpose, but not all good monologists are great actors, and not all great actors are great at delivering a monologue. I guess that's why I hate seeing them done, because for me the most beautiful moments on stage involve at least two people coming to a realization about who they are and where they've come from.

Sorry, this is just a little pre-audition venting. Not that I really have a solution to this problem for when I'm involved in an audition for more than one theatre or director. I just wish there was a better way.

Shucks. ;P

No comments:

Post a Comment