10.19.2009

Letting go of control.

If there is one thing that will kill an artistic process it can be the need to control what is happening on stage & lock it down. For me this kills inspiration.

Graves in the Water is no different.

Since this Halloween is the first time the piece is being performed, as the director I’ve been struggling with coming up with an order for the piece. We’ve found individual thru lines for each actor, but are missing one for the whole show.

So I said “fuck it” and suggested to my cast that we work off of our own inspiration. Maybe it’s because I spent my birthday weekend at the Baltimore Improv Festival or maybe I just couldn’t make up my mind, but I think having a “no structure” format will make this piece exciting, new & fresh each time it’s performed (for the actors & the audience).

Here’s what I mean by “no structure”:

The evening will start with Mrs. Kessler and end with Edith Conant, but everything in between is not set. The actors work off their own inspiration, they must listen & react to what is being said around them to find who goes next.

There are some challenges with doing the piece this way, mainly sometimes the actors get “stuck” and aren’t sure who should go next, but in rehearsal we are working on that. The first time I actually had them work in this “no structure” format I let them improv the actual pieces, speaking subtext that kind of thing. They worked off of the inspiration provided by the previous character. Now our focus is shifting on to “opposites” or impulses that pull you away from the character previous. This allows the actors to come from a place where they feel comfortable and gives them the freedom not to get stuck.

For some this lack of control may be difficult, but as a director I love the opportunities to let go of that and to just really trust my actors. I mean I hired them for a reason, didn’t I?

We’ll see where it goes from here!

No comments:

Post a Comment