2.04.2009

I still think he's an amazing actor.

Okay so I'm probably one of the few people that will defend Christian Bale in his tirade on the DP of the Terminator movie.

So here's why I'm defending him...

Though now I focus more on my directing, I used to act. I understand how fragile your mind is when you are in the middle of a scene. As actors, we are charged with living truthfully in imaginary circumstances, we must trick our brain into believing what we are saying, doing, who we are is real. For even those most experienced actor this can be a very difficult task.

Christian Bale is a serious actor, I was going to use the term professional, but his outburst kind of struck that word from the vocabulary to describe him. He is intense, he cares about the work he does, sometimes probably more than he should. (I mean did you see the Machinist?) He puts his entire self into a role and while he's in that moment, things like a DP walking through in his line of sight, adjusting lights can be a pretty distracting. It takes you out of the moment, which then can be extremely hard to get fully back in. And the DP didn't do it just once, it happened twice! Let's say you're trying to do something extremely difficult, and someone messes you up twice, wouldn't that frustrate you?

So though I do think it was kind of crappy that it happened (I mean everyone on that set should be professionals, especially considering how much they are getting paid), I understand the frustration that incited that explosion of anger.

We aren't all perfect. And even though he's a celebrity, he's still a human being. My other question is, this incident happened in July, why now was the audio released? That part doesn't sit right with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment