9.12.2009

Has John C. Reilly jumped the shark?


So I went and saw 9 this week, I didn't really want to see it, but my boyfriend dragged me along. Well it was better than I thought it was going to be, anyways I digress. During the previews, I saw a trailer for Cirque du Freak: The Vampire's Assistant. I've never read the books, though with the vampire craze as of late - you know Twilight, True Blood (of which I am a die-hard fan, thank you Alan Ball), CW's Vampire Diaries - it's no surprise that they would make a more kid-friendly version. When I say kid-friendly, I mean like that way Harry Potter is kid-friendly.

Anyways, back to what I was saying... In the trailer John C. Reilly seems to be phoning it in a bit. I heard that same vocal tone from him that he used in Step Brothers, Walk Hard & Talladega Nights. I'm a huge fan of John C. Reilly, but it's really disheartening that such an awesome actor is starting to lose his sparkle. I hate musicals, truly I do, but his rendition of Cellophane in Chicago almost made me cry. He was the main reason I even decided to watch that movie.

I guess what I'm scared of is one of the great actors that can transition from stage to film so easily is falling into type-casting. I just want back the John C. Reilly that could switch off with Philip Seymour Hoffman like there was nothing to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment