8.23.2008

After show rituals...

So last night was the beginning of the second week of Helena Troy by Rich Espey at Spotlighters Theatre. The cast will normally go out after the show for a few drinks, but I don't drink so I don't normally go with them. Though last night I felt like getting out for a little bit before heading home.

Honestly, I missed going out with theatre people after rehearsal. It's almost like a ritualistic bonding that happens between casts where we talk and converse, being ourselves, instead of focusing on what character choices we are making. It can actually be about us, it doesn't have to be about the work. Though as when any group that has something in common, the talk eventually came around to the show and which Wizard of Oz character their Helena Troy character was most like. Being the stage manager I was dubbed the wizard, and of course the lead was Dorothy.

It reminded me of when I always used to go out with my friends from school when we were done with rehearsal. I've always seemed to have separate groups of friends that never really crossed over at all. My theatre friends were spectacular, but unless I was working on a show, I didn't see them.

What actors do after shows is crucial in the ensemble building. We read the only review on the show to date over cocktails, soda and appetizers. We laughed, commented and shared how we felt about the review. What we thought the reviewer got right, what he didn't and what we felt we wished he had covered.

It was a good night and though the cast and I are close, I feel that brought us together even more. I appreciate those times where you can really just connect with a group of people you respect.

P.S. Even though I have an amazing job, I applied for the Marketing Director position at Everyman. Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment