8.29.2008

It is not a privilege.

Dear Baltimore Sun,

I am not privileged to have you cover the work that I do. I am a theatre artist, I survive with or without you. I will do my art whether or not you cover me. You can't survive without people reading you, well guess what, you lost one more.

Until the Baltimore Sun starts to give the Baltimore Theatre Community the respect that it deserves, I want nothing to do with it.

What sparked this new influx of hatred of the Baltimore Sun?

I submitted a letter (via email) to the editor last night of the Baltimore Sun. You can find it here. Today I got an email back from the Letters Editor asking me to contact them to verify the letter was indeed real and what the "nature of your involvement with this issue". Called, left a message. Got a call back and it all when down hill from there.

He asked me my involvement, I told him I'm working with one of the actors of Take Me Out in my current show and that I direct in town. I also act, produce, do make-up, etc. He then said it was odd that they had just got a letter the other day talking about how angry they were with the Sun about the nudity and how I was praising them (don't remember the exact wording). I was like "What?!?" Apparently he missed the first part where I said I was outraged and angered by the article.

As I made my position on the play clear and how they obviously missed the boat on the opportunity to discuss the plays ever-relevant themes, he actually said to me "shouldn't I be happy that the Sun featured a community theatre piece?" I told him no, because of the way that they did it. I once again said all they focused on was the nudity, not the themes that are playing out in American politics right this second.

Well needless to say I don't think they are going to run it. Oh well. Fuck the Sun Papers, they aren't worth all this heartache. Time to make some art!

8/30/08 - As of today they have not run the letter.

No comments:

Post a Comment