3.14.2009

It's about the work.

I had a discussion with an actor friend of mine who is having a hard time in the show they are currently doing. My advice was with whatever is going on, the focus should always be about the work. It reminds me of a quote from Stanislavski:

"Never come into the theatre with mudd on your feet. Leave your dust and dirt outside. Check your little worries, squabbles, petty difficulties with your outside clothing -- all the things that ruin your life and draw your attention away from your art."

From Stanislavski's Building A Character. Thanks to Hal Ryder for making me read that chapter Freshman year at Cornish.


It's true though. No matter what's going on in your life, if you let that come into the theater your work will suffer. So no matter what happens, just focus on the job you have to get done. Think about the rest later & do what you have to do.

Very stoic, I guess.

No comments:

Post a Comment