3.14.2009

It's all Greek to me.


So this week I scored $10 tickets to see Ion at The Shakespeare Theatre in DC at their newer Sidney Harman Hall space across from the Verizon Center.

Umm... Wow. What an incredible space. It's large and intimate all at the same time. Structured like a Greek theatron, with the slant down towards the stage being severe. Perfect to see a Greek tragedy in!

I enjoyed the show. I really appreciated Director Ethan McSweeny's use of song with the chorus, which is totally traditional, but he used modern melodies in a way that draws you in. His direction was very purposeful.

I did feel as though there were some inconsistencies in acting styles. All the acting was great, but when you have a very traditional portrayal of a Greek woman (Creusa), mixed with the more modern style of the actor that played Ion, it can start to feel as though they aren't necessarily in the same world.

I loved the director's use of puppetry, I think it's an art form that can be used to solve problems on the stage in a simplistic & beautiful way, especially when you have amazing puppeteers.

Anyways, I enjoyed it. Here's a video from the Shakespeare Theatre Company about Ion.

No comments:

Post a Comment