9.20.2008

Actor's Center Expo Review.

So today I went to Galludet University for the Actor's Center Expo.

5 sessions for $45 (non-member early price), not a bad deal.

The break down... (there were WAY more sessions than what I've mentioned here)

1st session - Yoga
A must have for me when I'm working. I did Yoga for 4 years in college and it changed the way I look at my life and at the world. There is one thing that has stuck with me through the years, "How you face challenges on the mat is how you face challenges in your life." And it's true. Seriously. When I started focusing on finding a healthy way of dealing with my challenges on the mat, I found a healthy way of dealing with my problems in life. It was good touch base again after 2 years and see what I still need to work on. I would love to be in another yoga class, but I don't think the rehearsal schedule is going to allow that. If you're in Alexandria, I totally recommend Hope Lambert at Little River Yoga, she was awesome.

2nd session - Fundamentals of Improv
Taught by Karen Lange of Washington Improv Theater, I took this session out of a seriously masochistic tendency to push myself. I'm weak at improv, I know this, that's why I took the course. To reinforce my "yes, and" so to speak. Well it was great! I actually really enjoyed myself, which was not what I was expecting. I wanted to have an anxiety attack before the class started, but I said fuck it and didn't switch my ticket. I'm glad that I stayed and got to play Oprah & Friends during our "Radio" game. Go cooch cleaning with the help of a nurse! (Don't ask, you had to be there)

3rd session - Working in Voice Over
A panel discussion sort of session where I don't know how much I really learned from it. It was nice to hear and reinforce things I knew about working. Also I really admired the message that unless you are going to really go for this profession, don't bother. I just wish they had been a little more specific about the steps that I need to take to get started (beyond making a demo reel) in the DC area. Melissa Leebaert lead the group discussion. I definitely see why people use her. She's straight forward and talented as all hell. She has workshops going on as well later this month and in November.

4th session - Stage Combat
A basic intro to stage combat, we worked on distance (safety, safety, safety!), knaps, slaps, punches and falls. The class was led by Karin Abromaitis who ended up mentioning David Bouchey (or as I know him Maestro Bouchey). Small world since Maestro Bouchey is who approved my actor combatant certification in Broad Sword my senior year in college. Granted I haven't kept up on it, but I did have one glorious year of being certified. She is working on starting a group called "Women With Weapons" and I'm excited to hear more.

5th session - Chekhov Workshop
Who doesn't want to learn Chekhov from a talented (and handsome!) acting teacher? Thought we really only worked on the 3-fold body I think this really gave me something to work with in rehearsal when I'm directing (or acting, like that happens often). I'm going to try and implement some of this stuff into Watch, A Haunting and hopefully take the work to the next level.

All in all totally worth the price, I'm exhausted but in that good way! Can't wait for Expo 2009.

No comments:

Post a Comment